in

Toddler Left Vomiting Black Gunk After She Swallowed A Battery

Source - Lacey Walter

A poor toddler who swallowed a battery had to be kept in intensive care for a week after the acid burnt through her oesophagus leaving her vomiting black gunk.

Abigayle Galle, now two, put the battery in her mouth after her father Jeff Galle, 26, bought it for his watch.

Source – Lacey Walters

The sanitation worker watched in shock as the girl retched and screamed out in pain. The youngster was rushed to A&E, where an X-ray revealed that the child had swallowed a circular object. The doctors initially believed to be a coin.

Abigayle was airlifted to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth where the doctors revealed that the lodged object was actually a battery.

Source – Lacey Walters

The battery was taken out immediately, and the youngster spent two-and-a-half weeks on a feeding tube.

Abigayle’s mother Lacey Walters is a stay-at-home mother-of-four. She said: ‘Abigayle’s dad had gotten a new battery for his watch but it ended up being the wrong size. He left it on his computer desk where Abigayle got her hands on it. Jeff was watching her while I was out trying to run some errands.’

Source – Lacey Walters

‘He called me up, and said she was crying and trying to throw up.

‘I hurried home straight away and I watched her for ten minutes. Her voice was growing so faint and weak. It was clear she was hurting.’

Source – Lacey Walters

The girl’s grandmother says, ‘She was taken in for an X-ray and it looked like she had a quarter stuck in her throat. It was lodged in her airway, which was making it difficult to breathe.

‘She started throwing up and it was terrifying. It was black.’

‘She was rushed into surgery. We didn’t get to see her before surgery because it was so urgent. I was so worried.’

Source – Lacey Walters

Fortunately for the family, the battery’s acid had not burnt completely through Abigayle’s oesophagus wall.

‘They said if the battery had been in there any longer it would have been catastrophic,’ Ms Walters said.

‘We cut up Abigayle’s food really finely now because she has trouble.’

Source – Lacey Walters

Ms Walters is urging other parents to be extremely cautious about leaving batteries around the house.

She said, ‘I’ve become extremely protective and I am overly careful about everything now. I could have never imagined a little battery could cause so much damage.

‘I would urge other parents to be extremely careful with batteries. They are in everything.’

Source – Daily Mail

What do you think?

0 points
Upvote Downvote

Written by Anu Bansal