A mother has recently taken to social media to roll out a warning to all the parents urged parents not to let people kiss their babies after her daughter contracted herpes from a family member.
Katie Taylor, 34, from Sunderland, noticed cold sores developing around her 10-month-old daughter’s mouth.
Herpes can be dangerous if contracted at a very young age. Fortunately, Lily made a full recovery and turned one in June.
According to Ms. Taylor, Lily was in a lot of pain. She said, ‘At first, I thought the spot may have been related to teething but on the second day, it looked far more sinister.’
‘I returned to the doctors who recommended a soothing gel for her gums and said it was a viral infection, I thought it might be [hand,] foot and mouth.
‘The third day Lily woke up with lots of spots in and around her mouth. She was so poorly I went straight to the hospital and was told it was herpes.
‘I couldn’t believe it, I have always wrapped Lily in cotton wool as I lost a baby before her and I didn’t want her to ever contract anything harmful.’
Ms Taylor is not sure how Lily caught up the infection but she believes it came from a relative who kissed her face.
She said, ‘Lily had been away with family the weekend before and I know some members suffer with cold sores.’
‘The germs are there before the cold sore which is why whoever kissed her was probably unaware until a few days after.
‘It took a month for her skin to clear up and, although it wasn’t my fault, I felt embarrassed with her in public as people were looking at me like I had neglected her.
‘She was barely eating as it was too painful and I had to use a syringe to give her water, It was horrible seeing her in pain.
‘She will be prone to cold sores for the rest of her life now which makes me feel awful as it wasn’t her fault.’
Source – Daily Mail